Cecil Payton, Adjunct
- Ed.D. – Florida State University
- Ed.S. – Florida State University
- M.Ed. – University of West Florida
- B.S. – Troy State
- 31 years in public schools as teacher, dean, curriculum coordinator, assistant principal, principal, and superintendent.
- 14 years as Director of Region 1 HRMD Network--providing training workshops for principal pool members in 17 counties. Also provided assessment centers and interview teams as requested.
In which online programs do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
Introduction to School Finance and Human Relations and Communication in Education
What do you want students learn in your classes? What is the expected outcome?
Finance – how funds are generated, distributed and governed. How to effectively use funds to promote student learning.
Human Relations – importance of people skills in interactions with all stakeholders within the total school community.
Why did you start teaching?
I like working with people.
What's the best advice that you have ever received?
As Warren Bennis wrote "making mistakes is just another way of learning."
What's the best advice you could give to online students?
Stay on schedule and relate course content to practical application at your school site.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
Leaders by Bennis and Nanus.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in educational leadership?
- People skills
- Organizational vision
- Consistency in leadership style
- Regard for self and others
What do you think is the biggest challenge that educators face today?
The negative impact of social media and litigious society.