Dr. Lela Hobby, Assistant Professor
- DNP – University of Massachusetts, 2010
- MSN in Family Health Nursing – University of San Diego, 1983
- BSN – Medical College of Georgia, 1977
- Jill Van Der Like, DNP, MSN, RNC Katie Cavnar, MS, MLS (ASCP), 2017
- Lela Hobby-Burns, DNP, MSN APHN-BC. Promoting patient safety through Interprofessional Education Simulation. Journal of Clinical Sciences (accepted for publication Jan 2017)
- Burns J, Flock N, Hobby L, Lopez-Beyer A, Amin R. A Blinded Comparison of Injection Pain With Quadrivalent Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine Versus Other Vaccines. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2015 Oct 8. pii: piv066. PUBMED ID: 26501471. 2015
- Burns J, Goff S, Walsh C, Hobby L, Garb J. The relationship between local food sources and open space to BMI in urban children. Public Health Reports. 2011 Volume 126 (6), 890-900. 2011
- AACN National BSN Meeting (Anaheim) Poster Presentation on Confidence building for RN to BSN students in two 1-hour Writing Courses. Nov 2016
- Accepted for two (2) poster presentations at STTI, Dublin. One will be co-presented on Assessing Nurse Learners’ Stress Using Technology to measure Physiologic Adaptation within IPE simulation. July 2017
- UWF Spring Faculty Showcase, Academic Technology Center: The Data is in! Research on Pre and Post QM Course Redesign Effectiveness, April 2016
- Poster presentation on Interprofessional education research at CAE Healthcare’s HPSN World 2016 in Tampa, FL. Feb 2016
- Presented International conference workshop: Vejle, Denmark. HealthCare College Conference titled: Simulation – Interprofessional Education and Research. September 2015
- Motivational Interviewing presentation to Psychiatric Nursing Students. January 2016
Links to share:
In which online program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
NUR 4165 (EBP in Nursing Practice); NUR 4636 Public Health & Community Nursing
Why did you start teaching?
My interest in evidence-based practice and public health nursing have interested me professionally since 2010.
What's the best advice that you have ever received?
"Comfort kills...." Never stop exercising your body and brain.
What's the best advice you could give to online students?
Read the directions, and enjoy your studies.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud, Dr. John Townsend
What qualities make someone particularly successful in these areas of nursing?
Evidence-based practice (EBP) requires an inquiring mind to search for the latest information on a topic of interest. Public Health Nursing requires empathy for the toxic stress that this high-risk population lives with on a daily basis.